Update 1 (09/24/2012): PLEASE USE THE GUIDELINES FOR PLANNING ANY EVENT STARTING 09/24/2012.
Update 2 (10/03/2012): Changes in I.3 and I.4 (deadline reference)
1. Finance Laws
I. Application Rules
1. All organizations need to be University of Southern California recognized.
2. All organizational representatives must attend the Finance Orientation to apply for funding.
3. Under $1000 requests have to be submitted as per the Funding Deadlines.
4. Over $1000 requests have to be submitted as per the Funding Deadlines.
5. P-Card application requests separate from application requests; need to be filed as laid out in the Finance Guidelines.
6. Deadline for application submission, to be considered that week, is Tuesday 5 p.m.
7. In rare cases where a reimbursement is needed, such request needs to be made 5 working days in advance by emailing the Director of Finance. Unapproved reimbursements will not be honored.
II. 4 Fund Laws (Graduate Access Funds)
1. The Finance Committee will only consider program fee paying Graduate Students as attendees to events when allocating funds. The only exception is the Volunteer Fund.
2. An organization can receive a maximum amount of $2,500/semester as a total from all 4 funds.
3. The maximum amount allowed for promoting a single event is $300, with a maximum of $100 for fliers.
4. Meal Allocation Maximums for program-fee paying graduate students:
a. Breakfast: $6/person
b. Lunch: $9/person
c. Dinner: $15/person
d. Snacks (Coffee/Tea): $3/person
5. No two meals will be sponsored for the same event: exception 1 meal and 1 snack is allowed.
6. The maximum transportation allowance is $200/person, for all fund types and events.
Less than 500 people attending: $100 maximum.
500-1000 people attending: $150 maximum
1000+ attendees: $200 maximum.
8. Maximum Gift prize can be $25/person to whom the gift is being given.
9. No payments for Hotel Accommodations.
10. No payments for retreats or similar events.
11. No payments for clothing items (t-shirts, etc.)
12. No payments for gift cards.
13. All allocations are maximum, subject to evaluation of the event and perceived benefit to the Graduate Community.
14. Receipts for events must be turned in within 5 working days of the event. Failure to do so will put the organization on a blue list, and they will not be able to apply for any further funding. Failure to turn in the receipts within 10 working days will put the organization on a black list, and they will not be able to apply for further funding from GSG for the current academic year. If the event reaches the maximum allocation of $2,500, then the organization will not be able to apply for funding for the next semester.
15. No funds will be provided for executive member meeting(s) of clubs.
16. All events sponsored by Graduate Student Government (GSG), need to be advertised on the GSG calendar and all promotional material must have GSG logo.
17. Student Organization needs to verify that the Vendor is still on the University of Southern California approved Vendor list; failure to do so will lead to application being rejected. To verify vendor information, contact Jakita Morgan at email@example.com or call GSG front desk.
18. Personal expense (reimbursement) only allowed if PO/IR and or P-Card option is not available. The organization needs to inform the Director of Finance of this at least 1 week in advance, and get approval for it from him/her. Unapproved reimbursements will not be honored.
19. An organization with a rejected application may request to present their case in front of the Finance Committee; such request must be submitted within 5 working days from the time the organization was informed of the application being denied.
20. Organization can apply for funding for the summer months, i.e. from the last Final in the spring semester till the University of Southern California’s main campus opens in August. Deadline for such requests is the first Wednesday in April at 5 p.m.
III. Umbrella Fund Laws
1. These rules apply to Umbrellas from II.5, 9, 10, 11, 13, 17.
2. All Umbrellas will need to apply for funding to the Director of Finance: no money transfers will be issued as prepayments or post-payments for allocated funds.
3. Umbrellas can use the money over the summer as long as they apply for funding by the first week of April.
4. It is the responsibility of the Umbrella to ensure that either the Umbrella or the organization applying for Umbrella funds, submits the application to GSG for processing the funds.
5. II.13 applies with the following modification. Instead of the $2,500 limit the Umbrellas’ semester allocation will be considered. Umbrellas will be able to fund organizations under them, but will not be able to hold their own events until the organization is off the blue or black list.
IV. Senate Application Pulling
1. An application may be pulled by senators from 2 or more separate schools (Separate Umbrellas), other than the one applying for funding.
2. To pull an applications, the senators interested in doing so need to e-mail the Director Of Finance 96 hours in advance, in accordance with IV.1.
3. All applications not pulled will only have a vote of YES (funding recommended by the Finance Committee) or NO (no funding), at the senate meeting.